A swimming pool is an excellent investment to increase the value of your property. It will enhance the charm of your backyard and give you a serene space for unwinding after a hectic day. But keeping your pool clean is a part of maintaining its beauty and appeal. In this busy and fast-paced world, you may not be able to do rigorous cleaning on a frequent basis. This might lead to dirt and debris like leaves, pollen clumps, or branches accumulating in your pol. Investing in a good pool cover is the ideal solution to this problem.
Using a pool cover is the perfect way to prevent contaminants from falling into your pool. It also has several other benefits, like keeping the pool warm, providing safety to kids and pets, and reducing evaporation. By keeping the pool warm, the pool cover will help you minimise your heating and electricity charges, making your pool operation economically more efficient. The pool covers also play a great role in keeping animals like ducks, snakes, and alligators from accessing your swimming pool.
There are different types of standard pool covers available on the market. Each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some commonly used standard pool covers include:
★ Automatic pool covers
These covers are the best choice for pool owners who do not want to hassle themselves with a manual cover. They are usually controlled using a remote and run using electricity. In regions with frequent power disruptions, automatic covers are operated using hydraulic systems. These systems use fluid power to control the automatic cover.
Advantages of automatic covers
Automatic pool covers have several advantages, including:
- They provide excellent debris protection for your swimming pool.
- Since covers are controlled using an electric or hydraulic mechanism, very little effort is needed to remove the cover. This feature makes it one of the most convenient pool cover choices.
- Automatic covers are available in a wide range of shapes and sizes. This means you will be able to easily find an automatic cover for your oddly-shaped pool.
- They can take the weight of small kids or pets when installed correctly. It cannot take huge amounts of weight but can reduce the risk of accidental drowning considerably.
Disadvantages of automatic covers
Automatic pool covers have a few disadvantages, including:
- If you do not install a pump for your pool cover, rainwater can accumulate on it, causing damage.
- Automatic covers can keep your pool warm, but in sweltering summers, your pool might get too hot, rendering it unusable.
- They are expensive when compared to other pool covers.
★ Safety covers
Kids and pets are more prone to pool-related accidents. So, safety pool covers are the most popular choice of pool cover among families and those who own pets. Safety covers can be fastened to tracks that are present along the swimming pool. The tracks will ensure that the swimming pool is entirely sealed, preventing evaporation and dirt accumulation, along with supporting the weight of the entire family. Both manual and automatic varieties of safety covers are available.
Advantages of safety covers
Safety covers have several advantages, including:
- It provides excellent protection for kids and furry friends, as well as the swimming pool.
- Automatic safety covers have a high visual appeal.
- It can support large amounts of weight.
- Some models give UV protection.
Disadvantages of safety covers
Safety covers have a few disadvantages, including:
- Rainfall accumulation, if not properly drained, can cause damage to the cover.
- They are not suitable during the winter.
- They are expensive.
★ Winter covers
Winter cover is an absolute necessity for outdoor inground swimming pools Perth, especially when the weather is harsh. These covers, resembling enormous tarps, are secured using water bags that are placed on the perimeter of the cover. They are constructed using solid, impermeable material, giving high protection to the pool. However, heavy objects cannot be supported by winter covers. This includes stray animals and rainwater. Make sure to have a good fence around your pool to avoid animals wandering into your pool area. You should also remember to drain rainwater before it accumulates.
Advantages of winter covers
Winter covers have several advantages, including:
- They protect the pool from dirt and harsh weather.
- They are highly durable.
- It retains pool chemicals for a long time during winter.
Disadvantages of winter covers
Winter covers have a few disadvantages including:
- They cannot hold too much weight, so they cannot be used as safety covers.
★ Solar pool covers
Solar pool covers are designed to utilise the heat from the sun’s rays to warm the pool water. It is a basic pool cover that is highly efficient, cost-effective in the long run, and environmentally friendly. Solar covers usually come with bubble-wrap designs. The cover is made using a thin material to allow the sun’s rays to easily pass through it. The bubble-wrap style will ensure that the heat remains trapped under the cover, keeping the pool water warm for longer periods. The bubble-wrap model solar covers are available in a varied range of thicknesses. The heat retention capacity of the cover is proportional to the thickness. So, having a solar cover with more thickness will effectively decrease your overall heating charges.
Advantages of solar covers
Solar covers have numerous advantages, including:
- They have excellent heat retention properties.
- They can be used to keep out all kinds of light debris from the pool.
- Even though the initial investment may seem a little higher, their cost-effective operation and low maintenance charges make them an economical option.
- They are environmentally friendly.
Disadvantages of solar covers
Solar covers have a few disadvantages, including:
- These covers are not big on longevity. You will have to replace them once every three years or so.
- These covers are thin and will not be able to support the weight of a person or a pet. So, they cannot act as a protective cover to prevent accidents.
Investing in a good pool cover is an essential part of owning a pool. The kind of pool cover you choose should depend on the features you are looking for. If you are looking for an environmentally friendly, cost-effective cover, a solar cover may be suited for you. But if you are looking to have added safety for your family, a safety cover is more suitable. So, in the end, the choice of pool cover rests with the pool owner.