The purchase of windows and doors is a long-term investment for your homes and hence it should be just right in terms of quality as well as pricing. Many factors like durability, strength, ease of comfort, and maintenance play a main role when making your final choice. uPVC (unplasticized polyvinyl chloride) windows have nowadays emerged as the most preferred choice among builder apartments and urban homes over conventional materials like aluminum or wood.
But, with so many uPVC window manufacturers in the market around and most of them look alike, how you can shortlist the right manufacturer or brand? Therefore, you need to consider a few checkpoints for every component of uPVC windows that will help you make the correct selection.
- uPVC profiles
They are multi-chambered sections that are reinforced with steel for strength. Such sections form a frame in which the glass panes are properly fitted. Here are some points to check the quality of a uPVC profile:
- For great stability of the uPVC windows, the width of every section must range between 2.2 & 3 millimeters.
- Only choose uPVC profiles which are lead-free.
- Additionally, check whether the material is resistant to sustained exposure to fire and flame-retardant.
- uPVC profiles must be resistant to flaking and cracking.
- Ensure that the profile is designed with a rain track that allows the rainwater to flow outwards.
- UV resistance
Custom made uPVC windows must also be resistant to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. This way a window doesn’t get a yellowish tinge or discolor due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.
To check this, titanium dioxide which is the key ingredient ensures color stability to white uPVC profiles. It must be present in the proportion of 2.5% by weight of the uPVC profile. Remember that titanium is quite costly.
- Steel reinforcement
- The material used for steel reinforcements in the multi-chambered of uPVC must be corrosion-resistant galvanized steel.
- Reinforcements’ thickness must range between 1 & 3 millimeters.
For improving your home’s acoustics, consider double or even triple-gazed windows which cut noise significantly, from the outdoors. The window manufacturer must make use of silicone sealants as well as rubber gaskets to make windows not only watertight but airtight too.
If you want the best security, buy double-glazed laminated windows as glass is tough to break.
- Good uPVC windows come with a great espagnolette locking system – it comprises a flat metal strip that runs up the locking window side. It locks and unlocks at the handle’s turn.
- Only top-quality steel which does not corrode or rust must be used for hardware like hinges, handles, friction screws, and stays.
- Reliable manufacturers will offer a one-year warranty on the hardware.
- And reputable manufacturers will offer a warranty of at least 10 years on the uPVC profiles.
Last but not the least; you must not forget to compare the prices and the list of deliverables between various uPVC window manufacturers.
Get in touch with Zenit Windows Systems in Melbourne, if you are looking for the best quality custom made uPVC windows. They manufacture uPVC doors and windows which are designed specially to fit the exact requirements and measurements of your window areas.